Underage DUI Attorneys Morristown, New Jersey
Juvenile DUI Lawyers Representing You in Morris County & Beyond
Individuals under 21 years of age cannot legally drink alcohol in New Jersey. However, they are allowed to drive unsupervised at age 17. If teens do drink and then drive a vehicle, they could be arrested and charged with underage DUI/DWI.
Unlike drivers over age 21, younger drivers have a different blood alcohol content (BAC) threshold that can trigger an underage drinking charge: .01 percent. By contrast, adult drivers in New Jersey have a .08 BAC threshold. If your child was arrested and charged with underage DUI, it is important to get help fast. There is a lot at stake.
Underage DUI Defense Lawyer in Dover, New Jersey
The Morristown, New Jersey law firm of Hanlon Dunn Robertson Schwartz handles underage DUI cases. The attorneys are compassionate and persistent, making certain that they consider every possible defense. They keep clients and parents informed of their legal options throughout the process to minimize parental stress and teenagers’ anxiety.
Consequences of Underage DUI Conviction in Mt. Olive, NJ
If you are under 21 and are convicted of underage DUI, you will face the following penalties:
- 30-to-90-day license suspension
- Possible fines
- Mandatory community service of 15 to 30 days
- Required alcohol education at an Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC)
- A delay in processing your license application if you are under 17 and unlicensed
You could also face related charges that include:
- Possessing alcohol as a minor
- Possession of false identification if it was used to purchase alcohol
- Distributing alcohol to other minors if they were intoxicated and in the vehicle
In addition to the legal charges and penalties, you could also face more intangible problems, such as difficulty being admitted to a college or receiving a scholarship. You may also experience difficulty finding a job, very steep insurance premium increases, and problems renewing your driver’s license after suspension. Finally, your underage DUI will be counted as a prior DUI if you are charged again within 10 years.
Possible Underage DUI Defenses in Denville, New Jersey
The firm’s lawyers explore defenses such as:
- The BAC reading of .01 was caused by food, drink, mouthwash, or medication
- The police stop and vehicle search violated Fourth Amendment rights protecting against unreasonable search and seizure
- The police officer did not have probable cause to conduct a traffic stop
- The Alcotest machine was not correctly maintained or calibrated
- The officer did not read the Miranda warning when arresting the teen
Because each case is unique, a defense strategy that worked in one case may not work in another. The firm’s lawyers will review the evidence carefully to develop the defense strategy most likely to result in a positive outcome for your child.
Contact a Parsippany Underage DUI Defense Lawyer
If you or your child faces an underage DUI charge, learn how the legal team at Hanlon Dunn Robertson Schwartz can help. Call to schedule a free consultation to find out how we will build a strong defense on your child’s behalf.
We help juvenile clients contest underage DUI charges throughout Morris County, NJ, including Morristown, Parsippany, Dover, Madison, Lincoln Park, Roxbury Township, Mount Olive Township, Morris Plains, Wharton, and Victory Gardens.